The Standard SNMP Tester with Vulnerability tests
SNMP managers and agents can communicate because they share a
common understanding of the data being exchanged (MIBs) and use the same
mechanism to exchange that data (SNMP protocol). Hence, to ensure
interoperability, an agent must be tested to check if its data matches the
MIB definition, and if it adheres to the data exchange mechanisms
(Get/GetNext/Set/GetBulk operations) specified in the SNMP protocol.
SimpleTesterPro adds basic vulnerability testing to check against
DenialOfService (DoS) attacks.
product, which has become the standard for SNMP testing over the last
10 years. The Capabilities of SimpleSoft's
SimpleSleuth is integrated
within one test solution.
As the number of MIBs, MIB variables and instances supported by an SNMP agent grows,
it can take weeks or even months to manually test each variable using
tools like a typical MIB Browser. This is where the SimpleTester
is most useful. The SimpleTester is an "SNMP Expert"
program that will intelligently interpret MIB files, SNMP protocol
specifications, and all the MIB objects supported by the agent.
Using this knowledge, it automates the testing process to complete
weeks worth of manual testing - in just minutes.
The SimpleTester contains syntax tests, semantic tests, performance tests, and other utilities, such as a Trap Receiver, which validates traps against the MIB,
individual script runner, and a script generator.
The predefined syntax tests check for MIB and SNMP protocol compliance for
any MIB by sending hundreds of different Get/GetNext/Set/GetBulk requests and
analyzing the response for each and every MIB object supported by the agent. With each test result, reference is given to the RFC which specifies the behavior being tested.
The semantic tests include over 1100 tests to validate the semantics of popular MIBs
like MIB-II, RMON and SNMPv3. These tests further ensure that the agent has
implemented the behavior of each MIB object properly. For example, in MIB-II if
2000 octets are sent to the agent, its ifInOctets for the corresponding interface
should at least increment by that amount. The tests can be easily customized by
making changes to configuration files. In addition, the source code of all the
1100+ tcl scripts is available. They can be used as templates for writing
your own tests or for customization. The framework is also fully
documented to allow users to easily add their own test suites.
The performance tests measure the agent's ability to handle a stream of
requests, one after another, and its ability to handle a set of requests all at
once. With these tests the SimpleTester is measuring response times and creates
a report which indicates the shortest, the longest, and the average response
time given the number of messages sent and received.
The test suite structure support is fully extensible. Users can develop and add their own semantic test suites using the test suite builder which has an intuitive graphical user interface.
The built-in Tcl interpretor has support for SNMP, Telnet and Serial I/O to allow users to
define their own scripts that test other aspects of the device including its Command Line Interface (CLI).
The SimpleTester includes a MIB Browser that graphically displays the
object registration tree and allows the retrieval and setting of manageable objects.
In addition to the user interface, the SimpleTester can also be run in an unattended mode
by specifying the tests to be conducted in a command file.
SimpleTester also includes support for Diffie-Hellman Key Change and Key Ignition.
Ability to create random numbers and their corresponding keys is also available.
This functionality is particularly useful within the Cable Modem industry implementing the
DOCSIS 1.1 specifications.
Only a few simple steps are required to test an Agent. They are:
- Use the built-in MIB compiler to load the MIBs supported by the Agent.
- Use the built-in MIB walker to specify the variables to be tested.
- Run any or all of the predefined tests to check for conformance with the
MIB definitions and SNMP specifications. Refer to the HTML based test
summary page to get an overall view of the test results and click on the
detailed report links to pinpoint problem areas.
- Use the built-in Script Generator and RowStatus Tester to automatically
create test scripts and the built-in Script Runner to run these scripts for load and regression testing.
- Optionally use the built-in Semantics checker to additionally check the implementation of popular MIBs.
- Increased customer satisfaction.
- Reduced development, testing and support costs.
- Shorten "Time to Market".
- Improved quality and interoperability.
- Implementation errors detected before deployment.
- Supports IPv4 and IPv6.
- Checks MIBs (v1 and v2 SMI) for Syntax Errors.
- Checks agent responses (and traps) for conformance with the associated MIBs.
- Checks agent for compliance with the SNMP protocol specification (SNMPv1, v2C and v3)
- Automatically tests each MIB variable for get, getnext, getbulk and set operations.
- Supports the Posix test results as defined in IEEE std 2003-1997.
- Includes over 1100 semantic tests for popular MIBs like MIB-II, RMON and SNMPv3 with source code.
- Creates script files to be used for regression, load and "RowStatus" related testing.
- Provides detailed reports that pinpoint problems.
- Includes Tcl interpreter and SNMP, Telnet and Serial I/O Tcl commands for custom script development.
- Contains a simple MIB Browser that graphically displays the MIB structure.
- Supports MD5, SHA, DES, for standard SNMPv3 authentication and privacy.
- Support for AES with 128, 192 and 256 key lengths also available in US.
- Includes support for Diffie-Hellman Key Change and Key Ignition.
- Supports functionality to include user defined test suites.
- Includes a test suite builder to ease the burden of creating and organizing user defined test suites.(Windows version)
- Supports both hardware andsoftware based licensing schemes.
- Simple, intuitive, easy to use interface that runs on a PC.
Test Suites Included
- Complete Syntax Test Suites for Any MIB:
Standard IETF MIBs, Experimental MIBs, or Proprietary MIBs.
- MIB-II Semantic Test Suite
- RMON Semantic Test Suite
- SNMPv3 Semantic Test Suite
- Diffie-Hellman Semantic Test Suite
- Performance Test Suite
Additional Test Suites Available
- SAN Test Suite
- DOCSIS 1.1 Test Suites for CM and CMTS
- DOCSIS 2.0 Test Suites for CM and CMTS
List of the IETF RFC's supported
SNMPv2 Data Definition
- RFC 1157 - Simple Network Management Protocol
- RFC 1155 - Structure of Management Information
- RFC 1212 - Concise MIB Definitions
- RFC 3411 - Architecture for SNMP Frameworks
- RFC 3412 - Message Processing and Dispatching
- RFC 3413 - SNMPv3 Applications
- RFC 3414 - User-based Security Model
- RFC 3415 - View-based Access Control Model
- RFC 1321 - MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm
- RFC 2104 - HMAC: Keyed-Hashing for Message Authentication
- RFC 2786 - Diffie-Helman USM Key
Hardware and Software Requirements
The SimpleTesterPro is supported on the following:
SimpleTesterPro license is node-locked. For sharing the license
among members of a test department, a floating license using a license
server is also available for additional cost.
- Microsoft Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7
- RedHat Linux 7.2 or higher
Differences between the various products in the SimpleTester
family are described in this Features table